I just finished the first draft tonight, and like I am with all books, I’m really excited. 😀
This didn’t go exactly the way I thought it would when I made the initial outline. The basic premise stayed the same: two best friends pretend to be romantically interested in each other in order to get her parents to back off about her finding a husband. But the way things played out didn’t really follow that outline.
There was a wrench my main characters threw my way that made me toss out 80% of the outline. (I can’t really say what in case I spoil the book.) But what I can say is that there were a few times when I was worried my hero and heroine weren’t going to pull off the romance like they were supposed to. Fortunately, they did in the end, but man, I had my doubts. LOL I am breathing a huge sigh of relief.
I spent most of my time writing by the seat of my pants and hoping everything would work out as I went along. I just can’t do it. I am not an outline type of writer. I know some writers swear by this, but it doesn’t work for me. And I’ve learned that until I’m at the 25,000 to 30,000 word point (which is about halfway) into a book, I can’t sprint it either.
I don’t know if I am scaring my editing team or not since I have another book done, but I wanted to warn them (since they read my blog posts) that I’ll be bugging them about going over this book in August. I’ve been working these poor people hard this summer. There was Patty’s Gamble, The Earl’s Secret Bargain, and A Royal Engagement. And I’m about to come at them with this book.