Dropping Out of the Rat Race

Today I made the decision that I’m not longer going to run in the rat race that has become a part of the indie world of publishing.

rat race

ID 77640367 Β© Stuart Miles | Dreamstime.com

Over the past year, I’ve been pushing myself hard to get books out, and I’ve only taken on projects that I believed would have the best time of selling (except for Taming The Viscountess which is one of my favorites AND The Bride Price and The Rejected Groom which features my favorite family, the Larsons). I know my books aren’t for everyone. I tried to make a couple of them for a wider audience, and those books did sell better.

There is something to be said for writing to market. Writing to market isn’t a dirty term. All it means is that the writer focuses on what readers when when they write books. It’s all about tailoring things specifically to the reader.Β When writers do this, it doesn’t mean the book is going to suck or that the writer is selling out. It means the writer is being business savvy in an ever-increasingly competitive market. So I’m not criticizing any writer who writes to market. It is a good business move that often comes with rewards.

But lately, it’s occured to me that I’m a square peg trying to fit into a round hole. Who I am as a writer doesn’t fit the “write to market” paradigm. The books I’m most interested in writing aren’t ones that most readers want. So I had to decide: do I keep trying to write to market, or should I write what I most want?

The other day, I actually thought, “I want to give up writing. It’s not fun anymore.” And that scared me. And it’s why I’m going to have to stop writing to market.

Running in the rat race for the past two years has gotten me to the point where I’m exhausted. And quite frankly, I’m done with it.

I’m done worrying about writing at a breakneck speed just so I can get a new book out sooner, too. That’s another part of the rat race. I know some authors can get a book out every week, but I’m not one of them. If I started doing that, my books would start to come out as rushed, forced, and just like others I’ve already done. I know this because I started doing this last summer when I was pushing myself to do 5000 words a day every single day. I had to stop and finish up the books when the kids returned to school. And at that time, I had to slow it back down to 3000 words five days a week, which I have learned is my best pace.

So today, I asked myself, “Why did I get into writing in the first place?”

I got into writing because I couldn’t find the kind of romances that I wanted to read. I couldn’t find a single author (besides Carolyn Davidson) who wrote the three things I most wanted in a romance novel: sex inside of marriage, the value of family, and an appreciation for the Christian faith. Carolyn Davidson nailed all of those, but she was only one author. And I wanted to read more books. So I ended up writing them.

I’m writing what pubishers weren’t putting out because publishers already knew there wasn’t a big enough market for it. I write a niche type of romance. I need to go back to appreciating that. (For those who think I can do clean romances, I tried that, and I didn’t like the books until I put sex into them. It always seemed like something was missing if the sex wasn’t included.)

I guess in the end, I decided that I need to be true to myself, and doing that ultimately means I’m not going to please most people.

So anyway, I’m settling in for the reality that I’m on a limited time where I can afford to keep writing and publishing books. Eventually, I’ll probably get a job outside the home because running a business is very expensive, and when income drops, you have to scale things back. Well, there’s a point where everything bottoms out. I don’t consider myself a pessimist, but I do think of myself as a realist. I lost half my income since the beginning of the year. I don’t know why, but it’s just the way it is. And I have to adjust to that reality.

And who knows? Maybe God is telling me, it’s time to start thinking of doing other things in the future. Maybe there’s something else he has coming down the road for me to do. Maybe this writing thing is here for a season, and while it’s been a great season, maybe there’s something even better out there waiting for me.

I’m hoping I can pull through until my kids are all out of school. Then I can be free to work whatever hours my employer wants me to work. Right now, I’m tied to the school schedule. When the kids have dental or doctor appointments, it’s during school hours. When they’re sick, someone needs to watch them during the day. I’ve been fortunate to have been a stay-at-home mom since they were born. I wouldn’t trade that time for anything, and I’d like to be a stay-at-home mom until the youngest is out of the house.

So what does this mean for the immediate future?

I’m going to write the stuff I really want to get done. Time is short, and I don’t have the luxury of waiting for the right time to come along to get to a story I’m passionate about. I might be able to keep writing. I might not. I don’t know. But I’m committed to doing whatever God has planned for me. And since I still have the luxury of writing, I’m going to go through my writing list over the next few weeks to decide what books I most want to write. Then I’m going to focus on those.

About Ruth Ann Nordin

Ruth Ann Nordin mainly writes historical western romances and Regencies. From time to time, she branches out to contemporaries romances and other genres (such as science fiction thrillers). For more information, please go to www.ruthannnordin.com or check out https://ruthannnordinauthorblog.wordpress.com.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Dropping Out of the Rat Race

1. Please try to continue writing, I appreciate the effort. I like your work

2. I plan to keep writing as long as I can. I have some author friends who’ve had to stop because they had to get jobs outside the home to make ends meet. I’m in a better position than they are. My goal is to have at least 100 romances under my belt. I’m at #70 right now. πŸ™‚

3. Shelley Chastagner says:

Bravo Ruth! You know I’ve always told you that I love your work and any indie author who writes like you do. You write what you love and it shines through. If I wanted mill-work writing there are plenty of choices, but you and other indie authors have that something special that tells me that you love what you’ve written and I’m lucky to get to share that with you.
    Hugs my friend! I’m looking forward to many, many more books with you.

• Thanks, Shelley! I have peace about writing that I haven’t had in a long time. It’s freeing to be able to lay aside all of the marketing stuff I’ve been studying for years. It seems like no matter how I do, it’s not enough, and when I say the methods don’t work, I get blamed for something I’m not doing right. I think most indies are in it to write what they love and share it with the world. It’s just the marketing gurus that sweep in and try to cast doubts on what they’re doing. If we decide not to write to market, we’re told we’re shooting ourselves in the foot. If we’re not putting out books all the time, we’re told we need an assistant or ghostwriters. I miss the way I felt in the early days of publishing when I was thankful I could finally publish stuff on my own instead of going through gatekeepers. I didn’t want to rework my stuff to suit what they wanted. I wanted freedom to write the story the way it was meant to be. That’s what I’m aiming to get back to. πŸ™‚

4. Dixie Lee Scheidt says:

When God is in control we have peace that surpasses all understanding………

5. Leona Melton says:

I admire you for concentrating on yourself and what’s important. To be honest, some of the books in series that I’ve been reading lately don’t always hit the mark. I feel sometimes the authors must be in a hurry to meet a deadline because it’s not up to their usual standards that I enjoy. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mean to criticize writers because I admire the work they do (I could never do it.) I do, however, want to read a book that touches my soul in some way. A story that makes me feel things, learn things, think about things in ways I’ve never thought before. If that means an author only gives us one book ever so often then I will be happy with that. I will re-read my favorites (which I do with your books) over again. I know that may not pay the bills but you can look back on a job well done with books that are well loved. Hang in there….we love you.

• Lately, I’ve felt like a hamster running in a wheel. The faster I went, the faster I needed to go. It was at the point where it was difficult to really dive into the stories. I enjoyed writing them, but it wasn’t the same. I wasn’t fully immersed in the characters’ world, and I didn’t give my mind sufficient time to work through all of the threads that wind their way through a story and even the series. I also stopped taking risks that I used to. I used to write stuff that I knew wouldn’t cater to the majority of people, but at the time, I wasn’t even thinking of sales. I was just thinking, “What would I want to read if I picked up a book?” I think I was a lot more “real” to myself in the early days. I’m aiming to get back to that point. I’m sure there will be moments when I’ll start questioning myself, but I’m going to have to push past that.

As much as I hate to admit it, I do agree that something started to slip from my stories, and I think it was the fact that I was take myself out of it in an attempt to please the most people. My early books might not have been the most historically accurate books out there, but I had the most fun with them. Even today, I prefer them.

6. It’s all pretty stressful – and a little depressing, isn’t it? I’m glad you’re going to do things your way. We’ll all be praying that your sales bounce back – soon. The indie publishing world is crazy anymore and I think everyone just needs to figure out what path works for them, write the best books they can – and pray. A lot. πŸ™‚

• It is. I think I was quickly approaching the point where I was going to crash and burn if I’d kept going. All along, I kept thinking, “If I can get one more book out this year, then I can relax next year.” With Amazon’s sales consistently dropping, I just can’t do it. Even with an extra book, I can’t keep momentum. The other retailers are steady, but Amazon still makes up the lion’s share of the money. But I just can’t keep up anymore. I see some romance authors putting out a book or two a week now, so that’s how they’re staying relevant. I can’t do that pace. I’m going to end up hating writing if I do that. More power to them. They have my admiration on being able to do it.

7. Cindy says:

Good for you! I Love your books, especially the Larsen family

• I love that family, too! I really want to get back to that family. Once I finish up with Richard and Amanda’s children, I want to write about Tom’s four girls. I have a feeling with Tom as a dad, the girls will be close and a lot of fun.

8. Do what you gotta do, not what you think others want you to do. If you feel writing stories you’re passionate about rather than writing stories that’ll sell well is what you want to do (and honestly, I agree with you), then do it. I support you 110%.

9. Mary McCall says:

The Larson family is definitely my favorite, too! What is your pleasure? That is what you should be seeking. There are so many trolls out there on line that suck the “J” out of Joy, like it is their reason to be. You are a great author! Don’t let anyone crush that indie spirit!

• You’re a gem, Mary. πŸ™‚ I always enjoy hearing from you! I want to get back to the Larsons. To be honest, I picked back up with the Larsons because I missed them. The Larsons don’t earn me the most money, but I feel like I’m hanging out with best friends whenever I’m with them. So I want to go back “home” and work through their stories. I’m looking forward to doing Tom’s daughters. I have a feeling they’ll be a hoot since Tom is so much fun. πŸ™‚

10. Dear Ruth, I agree with you wholeheartedly. My life hasn’t been easy this past month, and I even had to give up my small press online, The Pink Chameleon On line, because of health problems. I do want to continue writing my stories, but that too will be at a slower rate. The Good Lord will show us the way. I have three e-books at Smashwords that I’ve been offering for free these past three months, and those are flying off the e-book shelves, the others except for one or two, have come to standstill. I need to keep my mind busy, especially now that my life partner has returned to the Lord. My four priorities are my God and the Blessed Lady, my family – my grown children and my grandchildren and their loved ones, and my writing through which I feel I can serve the Lord and reach out to the world with good thoughts. I can well understand your feelings about leaving the writing rat race and applying yourself to the books you enjoy most writing. These decisions we are faced with today are hard ones to make. I will always remember the advice a priest in the confessional gave me, when I, as a teenager and questioned what path my life should take. He advised me to be faithful to the Lord and his teachings, and, “Follow your heart.” And that’s what I’ve always done.

All my love and lots of hugs, Dorothy.

• I know you’ve been through a lot, and I can only imagine how painful it is to lose your husband. I know it’s selfish, but I want to go before my husband so I don’t have to live without him. After a while, it really does seem like your spouse is an actual part of you. Now I understand what the Bible says, “The two have become one flesh.”

I didn’t realize you put some books at free. You probably know I’ve been doing that for a while. I usually do the first book in a series at free, but lately, I’ve been doing a book within a series in order to help gain exposure on retailers outside of Amazon, and it seems to work best on Apple so far. But I only do those for short periods of time.

The priest gave you good advice. That’s what I’m planning to do from this point forward. I’m tired of worrying over what I should or shouldn’t put into a book. I want to go back to putting what I feel God is telling me to put into it again. I guess sometimes we can lose our focus.

I’ll keep you in my prayers.

11. orit says:

good for you! i really miss your first books… hope you can go back and write wonderful books again.

• I’m curious. What did you like most about them? I thought the historical inaccuracies turned off a lot of people. πŸ™‚ Sometimes I miss the humor I used to use. Some people thought it was immature and stupid, and that’s why I toned it down and went to more serious storylines.

• orit says:

you were curious about what I liked in your first books… how to explain? they were magical… every one was unique

somewhen down the line I started to feel all books were the same… i am sorry to say… they were not special anymore. i stopped buying them because i didn’t want to be disappointed… really sorry to say

on the other hand I would have paid much more for any of the good books

so I really hope when you find yourself and start writing better books… even if slower… I believe maybe financially it will be OK… because maybe more of us weren’t buying books anymore and will start buying again.

the only reason I stayed on your mailing list is because I believed that there will be other magical books and didn’t want to miss on them

so big hug from really far away… Israel… and best of luck

• Well, I don’t know if I can bring the magic back, but I am going to start focusing more on what I kind of story I want to read instead of trying to write stuff other people want to read. I was picking plots that interested me. I just kept asking, “What would please the most readers?” when navigating in the story idea. I’m not sure if that makes sense. That was essentially the idea behind “write to market”. The method does actually work. There are quite a few authors making a lot of money doing it. I’m just finding that it’s wearing me out.

I guess we’ll see how things go from here. I’m sure there will be some of the lingering, “write to market” stuff in the back of my mind. It’s been ingrained in me for a couple of years now. Old habits will probably be hard to break, but I’m determined to reprogram my brain. πŸ™‚

Thank you!

• orit says:

your magic is in you… it will flow from you soon enough… as soon as the stress goes down I hope…

there are these few lines when Dave Larson meets Mary at the train station and sees all her good qualities from the way she acts… perfect beautiful lines… i remember reading them and feeling what a special person you must be… that was some years ago

good luck dear… we will be here for you… your readers

• Did you notice anything like that in any other book, or was that scene in Eye of the Beholder the only time?

• orit says:

many times in many books… i remember reading one book after the other and enjoying them all… the lines the stories the ideas

then… after some of your regencies… the stories started to feel silly… really sorry to say… no depth… and for me was clear that it became a business for you and I just stopped reading. because I would buy a book and feel worse than better… disappointed

I wish you the best.

• That helps a lot. The timing makes perfect sense since that was around the time I started writing to market, and I started focusing on book promotion. Thank you for your honesty. I appreciate it. πŸ™‚

12. Mary Alice Bradford says:

I really like your books because they are different. They seem real to me and are populated with real people who struggle. I will always want to know when one of your books come out. Thanks for many hours of joy.

• I really appreciate that! I want my books to feel fresh and new. I found myself rushing to the point where I was having a harder time getting into the character’s head, and that was when I had to stop and evaluate what I was doing. I’m happy to say The Marriage Contract (which will be out in April) is one of the books that I felt very passionate about. I’d been wanting to write a book like that for years. So at least I was able to get back on track before diving back into the three I just started. I’ll probably always do three books at a time. I like the variety. πŸ™‚

13. cclady4ever says:

Ruth, as a writer I have been following you for years. What has always impressed me is your energy, enthusiasm and rebel spirit. Look at all you’ve accomplished! That’s not dumb luck. You’ll find your sweet spot again and all the rest will fall into place! xxoo

• LOL on the rebel spirit. I felt like I was fighting everyone when I started self-publishing romances. In my family and in my friendship circles, no one liked what I was doing. Other writers around me didn’t like the fact that I had decided to forgo traditional publishing and go indie. I can’t believe how much things have changed. Well, my family isn’t still all that thrilled with romances, but it is nice to be around other writers and not have them try to talk me out of killing my career by indie publishing. Those writers meant well. I don’t blame them. Back then, it did look like a bad decision. I just wanted to write books my way. I didn’t want a publisher telling me what I can and can’t do. I find it ironic that I ended up doing that to myself. πŸ™‚

14. Take a breath and write, as you said, the books you want to write. Passion for your material will show through all of this. It is a rough time for many authors, but remember God is there and will see you through these times. God bless.

• Thanks, Jan. πŸ™‚ And yes, I know it’s not just me. A lot of authors are going through a similar situation. I guess I’ve decided I could keep on treading the hamster wheel or get off of it, and I don’t want to get to the point where I’m rushing through stories so fast that I can’t remember what happened in them. What’s the point in writing if you don’t soak in the experience of being in the characters’ world?

15. You’ve earned the right to write what YOU want. As many books as you’ve published, it’s time to write from your heart. I think the Fairy Tale series will be part of that. Writing to market is hard because it puts a lot of pressure on you to do what you think others want. And why be an indie author if you can’t do what pleases you instead of someone else? I say go for it with gusto!

And, by the way, I like all your books. I’m partial to the Regencies, but it looks like some readers like the historical westerns better. So I would keep putting out both kinds. Some will read one genre, and some will read the other. Just make sure you love your story!

I think what’s going to happen is that you’ll sell even better writing what you’re passionate about. The market changes so much. So why try to keep up? Write what you love and at the speed you feel comfortable with. Sometimes. when you’re loving the story, you write faster because you’re really into it. I think you’re making good choices. Best of luck, and trust in God!

• I really love the Fairy Tale series. I’ve been itching to do something like that for a couple of years. I just came up with a twist on Cinderella that will give me the same gothic feel I had in The Marriage Contract, and I’m looking forward to playing that out. I haven’t dove head long into gothic romances before, so I’m excited to explore this area.

You’re right. Why should I be indie when I’m not doing what indie authors are supposed to do: write the stories publishers are too afraid to take on because there’s not a market already for it. Writing to market is trapping me into the same mindset that publishers have had their writers in for decades. Isn’t it funny how what I once was trying avoid, I started to embrace? I didn’t even realize it was happening.

I plan to keep up with both historical westerns and Regencies. In historical westerns, I want to get back into the Larson family. I missed them. They feel like a part of my own family. As for Regencies, I love the characters too much to leave that world. The gentlemen are especially my favorites since they make all kinds of bets and other fun things. I also like intertwining the series. They can complement each other, but they can also act as standalone series. I like doing stuff like that, even though it can be tricky for people to keep track of all the ways characters from one series intersect another.

It’d be nice to see an increase in sales, but I’m also going to ask $3.99, so I’m not sure how that will go over. My hope is I can stay in this for at least six more years. I’d love to do this longer since I love writing, but we’ll see what God has in mind. As for writing faster because I’m playing in the worlds I really want to be in, that would be great. This year, I’m going to start writing outside the box again and taking chances I haven’t taken in a long time. I’m looking forward to it, too.

• I agree, Lauralynn. God bless.

16. Lorna Faith says:

Hi Ruth,
    I was encouraged and inspired when I read your blogpost. I think that’s awesome that you have chosen to just write the stories you love. That’s great… and your books will be the better for it(they already are… BTW)! I’ve really been loving your fairytale series and I’ve been inspired to write modern day fairytale retelling series(with cinderella, beauty and the beast, rapunzel, etc) under a under a pen name. It’s so important to write what inspires us… and like you said that is scary when you start to think “writing isn’t fun anymore.” That would be a pivot point for me too, because writing should be fun πŸ™‚
    Thanks for always sharing what’s on your heart and being so honest Ruth! It inspires the rest of us authors who also love writing stories!

• Hi Lorna!

It took me a long time to come to this point. I wanted so badly to be able to increase sales that I went with all the stuff out there about writing to market. I was never great at promotion, so I focused on tailoring books to how I thought most readers would want them. I did always go with plots that interested me. I didn’t ever write something I didn’t have an interest in. That would have definitely killed my writing motivation. πŸ™‚

It’s not easy to admit things that’s not popular to say. It’s not popular to even say you’re losing money. I think we’re supposed to think income always goes up. It’s nice if that happens, but I’ve found sales to always be a rollercoaster. There’s always a chance of it going back up, but I’m tired of trying to figure out what people want to read in order to keep aiming for it. It’s like I’m chasing the wind. I guess there comes a point when you have to make hard decisions, and sometimes you feel like you can’t win no matter what you do. So in the end, I figured, “I might as well write the stories that I’m really passionate about.” To be honest, I feel like I just shot my career in the foot. Only time will tell. I think in the long run, though, I’ll be glad I went this route.

I always appreciate your encouragement. πŸ™‚

17. I came to sort of the same crossroad last year – though mine was whether to start trying to write to market and churn out lots of books and make money, or whether to just say, “nah, I’ll do it my way as a hobby”, write what and when I wanted, and not worry if I sell or not – and that’s what I decided on. Luckily I’d never come to rely on my income (vampires don’t make much unless they are romance or erotica and mine aren’t.) so I didn’t have to weight the income issues, just the “what everyone else thinks” stuff because anymore it seems if you’re not writing at least five books a year, to market, then you’re not “legitimate”. It’s funny because I remember when we both first started, everyone back then said we weren’t legitimate because we were indy published and not through a big house. Now indies are semi-accepted, but the “industry” is still finding things to make people not “legitimate”. It’s crazy. I think you’re right, and God will lead you in whatever direction he wants you to go! I hope it’s to write more books, because you’re a great writer, but He knows better than we do. πŸ˜‰

• My husband was out of work for a couple of years, so my writing income became a very important factor in our home. Thankfully, he’s back at work now.

You’re right, though. It seems that unless vampires have a romance or erotic component to them, they don’t sell. Personally, I love the more horror aspect of the vampire folklore, but my taste doesn’t coincide with what’s popular. Plus, your books are really layered, and I like that kind of thing. I can see why it takes you longer to write them.

Part of why the decision was so difficult to drop out of the rat race was because the indie world is caught up in writing to market and being prolific. It has become all about money and how to obtain more of it. It’s considered a business savvy move. And from a financial point, it is. It’s hard to argue with the sales reports these authors show in FB groups, Kindleboards, and on blog posts. This is what makes them “legitimate”. This makes it hard to go against the mainstream, doesn’t it? I keep feeling like I just shot myself in the foot. But then, I felt that way when I decided to bypass trad publishers and go it alone.

It looks like you and I are the type of authors who don’t like to do it the “acceptable” way. πŸ™‚ Even in the beginning, we didn’t agree with conventional wisdom. I actually feel much better about my decision to drop out of the rat race. It feels like the pressure has finally been lifted from my shoulders and I can breathe again. I remember it feeling that way, too, when I decided to forgo trad publishing. It’s a freeing experience. I know following God isn’t always easy, but I’m committed to letting Him lead me wherever He wants me to go.

• I’m not really conventional, either, and am also not trying to write to market. That might be why I’m having trouble selling, but I also don’t market at all anymore. Who has the time with a full time job? Fire Wizard was a totally different book with a hero and shero who were unlike any paranormal characters I had ever heard of. That book doesn’t sell at all anymore, and yet it’s one of my favorites. (I’ll never forget you telling me it had one of the best kissing scenes you had ever read.) I don’t regret writing it. When I retire, I know I can be more prolific, which helps get our names out there. When I first started, vampires were really hot, and that happened to be a genre I loved. I used to make a good living, but not anymore. I retire in six years, and I plan to continue to write and edit. Without a full time job, I can really focus on those two things.

I really didn’t mean to ramble on like that!

• Currently, the big thing in marketing is running ads. Authors who say they’re making $20K or more a month say that is the secret to reaching a new audience since the old tactics of marketing (FB posts, Tweets, etc) have become harder to get noticed. A lot are swearing by Amazon ads, but that works best if you’re in KU. Since Amazon is promoting KU books more anyway, I’m not surprised by that one. Wide authors can run Amazon ads, but they have other ads (Bookbub, Freebooksy, etc) that they “stack” together, so one ad runs on Day 1, another runs on Day 3 or 4, and etc. That way the book/series is getting the continued push. These authors say they spend about $500-$2000 a month on these ads. That makes my wallet hurt. I couldn’t afford that every month. I hear FB ads are pretty useless, so I wouldn’t bother with that, though one author swears by boosting FB posts that mention a book so our friends on Facebook have a better chance of seeing it.

There are a couple of romance authors who are doing extremely well by writing sharing series. So Author 1 will write Book 1, Author 2 will write Book 2, etc. These series can go on for up to 50 more books, and this ends up being between several different authors. I can see the logic in this approach since they then use their mailing lists and their social platforms to co-market their books. These authors (from what I’ve seen) are also in KU, so maybe that’s something easier to sell to KU readers who pretty much get any KU book for free as long as they pay the monthly subscription fee. I have no idea if this strategy would work well for authors going wide. In my experience, co-authored books/anthologies tend not to do well. But who knows? Maybe it’s different for a single author book in a series. My gut tells me that strategy is best used in KU, though.

I would think the best marketing tool for long-term career sustainability would be writing books that are our best work. Of course, visibility is where things get tricky, and with all of the books out there, it’s definitely harder to get noticed. That is something that’s ultimately out of our control. We can’t control who sees the book or who reads it and likes it. This is why I’ve thrown my hands up in the air. I plan to run an ad from time to time and run promotions on my books, but I can’t keep up with all of these changing trends in marketing. After a while, it wears on me, and I lose my enthusiasm for writing because I’m so focused on keeping up with authors who sell better than me.

Anyway, I loved that kiss scene in Fire Wizard! It’s sill my all-time favorite kiss in a book. πŸ™‚ There’s no doubt that when you’re not working full-time you will be freed up to write more. That does make a huge different in how many books you can get out into the world.

18. Mary McCall says:

I enjoyed the above “ramble”, no worries! I just bought “The Rejected Groom,” and when Ruth Ann Nordin puts out her next book, I’ll buy it, whether it’s $3.99, or whatever.. I’m going to research your name and look to see if you have some good romance novels. I am NOT a millennial, I’m a 60 something widow. I’m not into vampires, and I would say, I’m not in to Science Fiction, except, I did enjoy Ruth Ann’s foray into that genre. The young people seem to like tv and books reworking fairy tales and fables. Mostly, they aren’t for me. I’m looking for a HEA, with believable characters. They can be flawed, as no one is perfect. I search for humor, strong confident women, and men who love them! Hot and steamy isn’t bad, either!